Staff Software Engineer
Our mission at Talkspace is to make therapy affordable and accessible to everyone. To get there, we need exceptionally talented, bright, and driven people. Help over one million people feel better.
We are looking for experienced software engineers to join us in our NYC Headquarters. In this role, you will take on critical business projects by talking to the right people, defining the work, breaking it down, and implementing it quickly and efficiently. You will mentor and learn from other engineers through pair programming, pull requests, and design reviews. You will be a role model for what it means to be a great team player.
You will answer questions, such as
- How do we design a system that is of high quality and provides flexibility while minimizing risk and effort?
- How do we decide between building new features and integrating off the shelf solutions?
- What are non-functional requirements, such as quality, security, and extensibility, for a new feature?
- What engineering principles should we be adopting as an engineering organization?
- What software patterns and testing approaches will ensure that we do not fail in an unexpected way?
- How should we leverage queueing, caching, and other distributed systems architectures to increase the scalability and resiliency of our systems?
- How can we improve the orchestration of background jobs to increase the observability and flexibility?
- How do we quickly build new features and adopt new technologies, while assuring the privacy of our clients?
- How do we model data in database and APIs to minimize redundancy and allow for flexibility?
- Earned the respect and trust of other engineers as strong technical leader and mentor
- Extensive experience with full-stack development using MVC frameworks
- Extensive experience with both relational databases and ORMs
- Experience leading at least one major refactor, such as breaking up a monolith
- 5+ years of experience in a senior role building and running cloud architectures
- 10+ years of commercial software development using a variety of languages
- Bachelor’s or Master's degree in Computer Science or a related technical field
You may be a good fit if you
- Are motivated by Talkspace's mission
- Appreciate agility, simplicity, and pragmatism
- Are passionate about quality, performance, reliability, and security
- Are comfortable working with a diverse set of programming languages and paradigms, including object-oriented and functional
- Enjoy writing about technology, presenting at public events, or contributing to open source projects
Because we are on a mission to make the world a better place. Our focus to help people feel happy starts at Talkspace, where we connect, collaborate, and have fun. Monthly team outings, happy hours, in-house family-style lunches, office snacks, unlimited PTO, matching 401(k), medical/dental/vision/life insurance, access to Talkspace products, ping pong table, and other competitive benefits are just some of the ways we make Talkspace a great place to work. Do you want to save the world? Come join us!
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Talkspace is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants are considered for all roles without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, citizenship status, age, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, marital, parental, veteran or military status, unfavorable military discharge, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law.